Friday, April 19, 2013

Musicals of the 1950s and 1960s





            
 


























Sorry I've been away so long. I've had some trouble adapting to the flow and a pattern of writing a blog. Writing has a lot of demands. So let's begin again, shall we?

Shall we still be together?
With our arms around each other

And shall you be my new romance?

On the clear understanding
That this kind of thing can happens
Shall we dance?
Shall we dance?
Shall we dance?

know where this is from?

You guessed it, The King and I, starring Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner. I love musicals and this post will be all about the musical genre.

The best musicals I've seen have come out of the 1950s and 1960s when musicals where at the top of there form. For instance, Singin in the Rain, Funny Girl, My Fair Lady and so much more. Some people may not like musicals simply because they start singing at the drop of a hat. People say it's not realistic, but that's the point. You are supposed to accept the musical as a fantastical experience and suspend your disbelief.

Musicals are an elaborate show and a lot of artwork goes into them. That must be one of the reasons why I love them. In a musical, any period can be showcased. For instance, The King and I takes place during the 1860s. Singin in the Rain takes place right before the first talking picture came out at the end of the 1920s. Funny Girl is set around and during WW1. This movie highlights the Ziegfeld Follies which is a mix of Broadway plays and Vaudeville skits. And one of my all time favorite musicals is... My Fair Lady. My Fair Lady takes place during the 1900s during the Edwardian period. I love seeing the period pieces come to life, somehow it's so much richer than a novel.

In the next following posts, I will be talking in depth about the above mentioned musicals and the popular music from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment